A Glimpse of Life on a Salt lake

Dawn arrives on the slumbering lake

A few days ago I fortunate to go camping in a beautiful spot on our Great Western Woodlands.
 Looking east was this beautiful salt lake and to the west an awesome backdrop of a Granite dome covered with boulders of all shapes and sizes.
This is  home to abundant flora and fauna but as you can see by my photo above, this wonder is about to come to and end those sticks marring the beauty of my photo have been placed all across the lake by a mining company and soon this will be part of a ugly mine.
Now you may think that this harsh salt lake would be void of life and useless but I was only able to spend a short time on the lake and here are a few of the creatures I found.
I would love to spend a day or more to see just what might be there.

I think this beauty is a Jewell beetle it is 6cm or almost 2 1/2inchs long
This Tiger Beetle is building a nest in the wet salty lake

A small Wolf Spider

This spider is either very well fed  or soon she will hear the sound of hundreds of spiderling's toes times 8


Comments